Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies made with jaggery and ripe bananas are my favourite as they contain zero added sugar. My kids love homemade cookies, they have a really bad sweet tooth, as any other kid! A balanced diet for them is a cookie in each hand!!
So, I learnt baking and I learnt baking with whole wheat and natural sugar substitutes so that the cakes and cookies remain healthy. One of my best recipes is the jaggery chocolate chip cookies, we have baked it atleast a dozen times, shared it as playdate gifts to friends and family and have always received a warm feedback.
Hope you love your next batch of whole wheat banana & jaggery chocolate chip cookies with this recipe. All my recipes use whole wheat flour instead of refined maida & jaggery instead of refined sugar.
Jaggery Cookies Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Baking Time: 8 mins
Makes: A dozen cookies
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cup
- Baking soda – 3/4 tsp
- Baking powder – a pinch
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Dark brown jaggery scraped– 1/4 cup
- Honey – ½ cup
- Egg – 1
- Chocolate bar – ½ cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Fully ripe banana – 2
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp Optional
- Milk Powder – ¼ cup Optional
- Here is a basic baking tip, I always sieve all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. This adds air and fluffiness to the cookies.
- I use banana and honey as a natural sweetener which further reduces the quantity of jaggery.
- You can substitute the jaggery and honey with brown sugar if you like.
- Use fully ripe bananas as they are sweeter.
- Milk powder makes the cookies more dense and melt-in-the-mouth kinds.
- Chop the chocolate bar into medium size chunks. You can also use readymade chocolate chunks but the cookie tastes better with bigger chunks of chocolate.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and milk powder as stated in Baking Tips.
- Cream the bananas and honey together and leave the butter at room temp for 30 mins, this makes it easy to knead.
- Mix together butter, jaggery, banana mash, vanilla essence into another bowl. Break the egg and mix slightly with a spoon. Donot use a blender.
- Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together by stirring gently.
- Make a dough and divide into lemon size balls, keep the surface rough.
- Grease the baking tray with oil and place the balls about 2 inches apart. Donot flatten the balls as the cookie will spread and flatten while baking.
- Preheat the oven and bake at 160C for 8 mins.
- Take the cookies out of the oven immediately to avoid getting burnt at the bottom.
- Cookies with jaggery may appear bit soft but they will harden on cooling down.
- Your homemade banana & jaggery whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are ready. Store it in an airtight container.
Can we use jaggery instead of brown sugar in cookies?
As jaggery is more readily available at home, I often use jaggery instead of brown sugar. One simple tip to use jaggery in cookies is to scrape it very finely. Incase the jaggery is sticky, which often happens during winter months, I avoid using it.
Baking with jaggery TIP
Should you use scraped jaggery, let the jaggery melt in water to use liquid concoction or use jaggery powder for baking? Well, my jaggery cookies turn out best when I use powdered jaggery, you can easily buy it on Big Basket. You can use scraped jaggery incase powdered jaggery is not an option. Liquid jaggery concoction may yield a lumpy cookie.
Liked this post on Banana & Jaggery Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
You may also love Make these sweet fresh juices that have ZERO sugar, Baking Basics – All you need to know as a first time baker and Finally I Learnt To Make Paper Thin Dosa – Restaurant Style With Homemade Batter
PIN THIS JAGGERY COOKIES RECIPE
“I’m taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s My Friend Alexa”
Love our content? Never miss a post!!