My kids have a really bad sweet tooth. I must admit I am guilty of one too. Hence I have taken to baking at home and all my recipes use whole wheat flour instead of refined maida & jaggery instead of refined sugar.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Baking Time: 8 mins
Makes: A dozen cookies
- Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Baking Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Baking Soda – a pinch
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Canola or Olive Oil – 1/3 cup
- Dark brown Jaggery – ¼ cup
- Egg – 1
- Chocolate bar – ½ cup
- Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp
- White sugar – 2tsp Optional
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp Optional
- I always sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder together. This adds air and fluffiness to the cookies.
- You can substitute the jaggery with brown sugar, it’s just that jaggery is more readily available at home.
- The small amount of white sugar helps the cookie spread well while baking.
Scrape the jaggery into small pieces using a knife.
Cut the chocolate bar into medium size chunks. You can also use readymade chocolate chunks but the cookie tastes better with bigger chunks of chocolate.
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt as stated in Notes.
Pour the oil, jaggery, sugar, vanilla essence into another bowl. Break the egg and mix slightly with a spoon. Donot use a blender.
Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together by stirring evenly with a spoon.
Roll the dough into small lemon size ball, keep the surface rough.
Grease the baking tray with oil and place the balls about 2 inches apart. Donot flatten the balls as the cookie will spread and flatten while baking.
Preheat the oven and bake at 160C for 8 mins.
Take the cookies out of the oven immediately to avoid getting burnt at the bottom.
The cookies may appear bit soft but they will harden on cooling down.
Your homemade whole wheat & jaggery chocolate chip cookies are ready. Store it in an airtight container.