My kids have a really bad sweet tooth. I must admit I am guilty of one too. Hence I have taken to baking at home and all my recipes use whole wheat flour instead of refined maida & jaggery instead of refined sugar.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Baking Time: 8 mins
Makes: A dozen cookies
- Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Baking Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Baking Soda – a pinch
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Canola or Olive Oil – 1/3 cup
- Dark brown Jaggery – ¼ cup
- Egg – 1
- Chocolate bar – ½ cup
- Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp
- White sugar – 2tsp Optional
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp Optional
Baking Tips for Jaggery Cookies
- I always sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder together. This adds air and fluffiness to the cookies.
- You can substitute the jaggery with brown sugar, it’s just that jaggery is more readily available at home.
- Can we use jaggery instead of brown sugar in cookies? Absolutely YES. Add a tiny amount of white sugar as it helps the cookie spread well while baking.
- Scrape the jaggery into small pieces using a knife.
- Cut the chocolate bar into medium size chunks. You can also use readymade chocolate chunks but the cookie tastes better with bigger chunks of chocolate.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt as stated in Notes.
- Pour the oil, jaggery, sugar, vanilla essence into another bowl. Break the egg and mix slightly with a spoon. Donot use a blender.
- Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together by stirring evenly with a spoon.
- Roll the dough into small lemon size ball, keep the surface rough.
- Grease the baking tray with oil and place the balls about 2 inches apart. Donot flatten the balls as the cookie will spread and flatten while baking.
- Preheat the oven and bake at 160C for 8 mins.
- Take the cookies out of the oven immediately to avoid getting burnt at the bottom.
- The cookies may appear bit soft but they will harden on cooling down.
- Your homemade whole wheat & jaggery chocolate chip cookies are ready. Store it in an airtight container.
Liked this post on Whole Wheat & Jaggery Chocolate Chip Cookies
You may also love Make these sweet fresh juices that have ZERO sugar, Baking Basics – All you need to know as a first time baker and Finally I Learnt To Make Paper Thin Dosa – Restaurant Style With Homemade Batter